This article is a part of our recent workshop for final year engineering students. All are waiting for their placement companies and expecting a good job before the end of 2017.
Yes, they are very right with their expectations and they can even get a better job earlier. No, I am not going to reveal any secret trick and not going to ask to buy any course to get a job as fresher. What, I am upto are just few selling points to position yourself better online. Make your presence right and recruiters themselves would find you with a job offer.
Let’s discuss it in some points, and take these points as decreasing priorities. So, first thing first.
- Never Copy your resume from someone else. Your resume is the gist of yourself and you should not copy it from others. Write your resume from scratch and if you find yourself in trouble then Microsoft Word’s resume draft would help you in making a good resume. You also need to spend time over your resume, make it error free and you should know everything about your resume.
- Prepare your projects well and also work on the architecture (technical stack). The projects, you have done during your pre-final and final year, plays deciding role in your job interview. A well-written project can increase your chances multi fold. So, mention your genuine projects in your resume and also mention a bit about technical stack and architecture. If you mention the front end tech, backend tech, server, and development tool; that would be enough at fresher level.
- Don’t forget, Tell me about yourself. This is the favorite question of every interviewer and this the key to start an interaction. So, you should prepare this question well enough and take mock in front of a mirror, teacher, friends, seniors, or whoever you want. Your answer should contain the things which are not obvious on your resume. So don’t recite your resume in reply to this question.
- Start using the LinkedIn profile as early as possible. Ideally, you should create your LinkedIn profile in the first year, but if not then create it and use it as early as possible. LinkedIn is the most powerful business, job finding tool ever. Your LinkedIn profile should be error free and should be well managed. Don’t overdo things, just make an honest effort and put things honestly and clearly. LinkedIn profile building helps itself makes you expert in creating a 100% LinkedIn Profile.
Here, I am revealing a trick first time in this article.We all have a tendency to visit profile back if someone has visited us. So, you just need to use this trick wisely. Make a search of prospective companies and find the profiles of HR and Senior Managers of those companies. Then start visiting 10-15 of them per day, once you are ready to take a job in the market. Even if 30% of them visit your profile back, you will be in the sight of a prospective employer. And that is the time when your perfectly build profile would make you out of the crowd.
- Use GitHub, StackOverflow, HackerRank, HackerEarth, and other online coding platforms. GitHub and StackOverflow profiles are as essential as your resume. So start committing your code on code repository and build your coding profile. Whenever you search through StackOverflow, do this after logging into your StackOverflow account. Also, start participating and answering the questions. This will increase your visibility in no time. HackerRank and HackerEarth are two amazing platforms among many. Once you are a bit comfortable in any programming language, start using above two competitive programming platforms.
Many companies, likes of Amazon, Flipkart, SnapDeal, Uber, and others, use to recruit directly via online coding challenges. So it’s upto you to secure your place at these platforms to get a better job.
- Be yourself. Don’t fake anything if you want to sustain in long run. First, you need to know your career objective then write that objective in your resume. It’s perfectly okay not to get a job in the very first interview and okay even not getting a job in tens of interviews. But getting a job by faking yourself would make you pay a cost in long run.
If you lack some skill then build that skill. Trust me, you can master any skills, any skill which ever exists on earth if you practice that skill for 10000 hours. So, it’s your journey to be a master at your skill and it’s your destination to grab the best available job.